The application of intelligent technologies in communication systems could be tracked back into 1990s. The emerging of cognitive radio targeted on the revolutionary spectrum access paradigm has sparked a radical change on wireless system design, development and performance analysis. Since then the…
The application of intelligent technologies in communication systems could be tracked back into 1990s. The emerging of cognitive radio targeted on the revolutionary spectrum access paradigm has sparked a radical change on wireless system design, development and performance analysis. Since then the state-of-the art of wireless communications has been significantly advanced, from substantial improvement on spectrum usage, smart adaptation and coexistence in radio and network environments, fundamental enhancement on performance and capacity, to considerable reduction of complexity in network management. After a decade of research on cognitive radio and networks, the concept of cognition has been naturally and widely extended to whole communication areas, not limited to wireless systems, but also in wired networks. This trend will strengthen even more with the advent of fifth-generation (5G) communication networks that will impose new challenges, related mainly to the heterogeneity of such networks, the improvement of the quality of experience of users, and the efficient and sustainable use of network resources. Cognitive technologies become promising tools for the communication industry to meet the challenge of coming data traffic tsunami. Solutions for energy efficient, sustainable future Internet are heavily relied on advanced cognitive technologies, new ways of thinking on network design and development, as well as new theoretic foundations. Communication ecosystems need to be equipped with advanced intelligence coming from machine learning, data analytics, and cognitive computing to meet the aforementioned challenges. We believe cognitive communication technologies will remain an important and active area of research for the next several decades. It becomes necessary to provide a common forum to publish high quality papers, and to offer readers a single source to get inspiring ideas and important findings in this area. It is our honor to provide dedicated transactions on cognitive technologies for communications, to fulfill this purpose. The aims of the transactions are:
- to provide a dedicated platform for timely publishing of high quality, peer-reviewed, original papers in fields of cognitive communications;
- to be a highly cited source of latest findings in cognitive radio and cognitive communication networks; and
- to be a leading journal that publish contributions from a wide range of cross-disciplinary and collaborative domain knowledge related to cognitive technologies for communications, such as cognitive science, information science, computer science, mathematics, physics, and statistics.
The transactions provide flexible means to publish latest results in a timely manner. It accepts the submission of:
- regular research papers, for original scientific contributions,
- fast-track communications, for short findings,
- topical reviews.