Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Gender, Culture and Society, ICGCS 2021, 30-31 August 2021, Padang, Indonesia

Research Article

Analysis on The Involvement of Women and Children Working in The Informal Sector In Jambi

Download36 downloads
  • @INPROCEEDINGS{10.4108/eai.30-8-2021.2316264,
        author={Heriberta  Heriberta and Zulfanetti  Zulfanetti and Rike  Setiawati and Ade  Octavia},
        title={Analysis on The Involvement of Women and Children Working in The Informal Sector In Jambi},
        proceedings={Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Gender, Culture and Society, ICGCS 2021, 30-31 August 2021, Padang, Indonesia},
        publisher={EAI},
        proceedings_a={ICGCS},
        year={2022},
        month={4},
        keywords={participation of women children at work in the informal sector},
        doi={10.4108/eai.30-8-2021.2316264}
    }
    
  • Heriberta Heriberta
    Zulfanetti Zulfanetti
    Rike Setiawati
    Ade Octavia
    Year: 2022
    Analysis on The Involvement of Women and Children Working in The Informal Sector In Jambi
    ICGCS
    EAI
    DOI: 10.4108/eai.30-8-2021.2316264
Heriberta Heriberta1,*, Zulfanetti Zulfanetti1, Rike Setiawati1, Ade Octavia1
  • 1: Universitas Jambi, Jambi, Indonesia
*Contact email: eheriberta@yahoo.com

Abstract

The purpose of this research is to provide information and results of studies in the form of 1). Characteristics and factors that influence the increase in labor in the informal sector, 2). factors that affect the high participation of women and children working in the informal sector, 3). reasons that push women and children to make decisions to work in the informal sector 4). the right strategy is employed to break the chain of children working in the informal sector. The method of collecting qualitative data is through in-depth interviews with selected and relevant informants using open-ended questions. The results of the study show that the number of women working in the informal sector is 64.5 percent, on the contrary, fewer men work in the informal sector, which is 35.5 percent. There are 65.3 percent of enterprises in the informal sector and the other 34.7 percent are formal enterprises. The education of women working in the informal sector is 60.8 percent of high school, 23.4 percent of high school, and 15.8 percent have not completed primary school and the equivalent of elementary school. For men working in the informal sector as transport workers, 28.5% and 6% for women. 35% of men work in the informal sector at a crossroads, as opposed to 30.5% of women.