Proceedings of the 1st Hasanuddin International Conference on Social and Political Sciences, HICOSPOS 2019, 21-22 October 2019, Makassar, Indonesia

Research Article

The Effect of Media Literation on Hoax News Acceptance Among Students

Download85 downloads
  • @INPROCEEDINGS{10.4108/eai.21-10-2019.2291536,
        author={Nahdiana  Nahdiana and Andi Suci Adysa},
        title={The Effect of Media Literation on Hoax News Acceptance Among Students},
        proceedings={Proceedings of the 1st Hasanuddin International Conference on Social and Political Sciences, HICOSPOS 2019, 21-22 October 2019, Makassar, Indonesia},
        publisher={EAI},
        proceedings_a={HICOSPOS},
        year={2020},
        month={2},
        keywords={literacy media hoax news students},
        doi={10.4108/eai.21-10-2019.2291536}
    }
    
  • Nahdiana Nahdiana
    Andi Suci Adysa
    Year: 2020
    The Effect of Media Literation on Hoax News Acceptance Among Students
    HICOSPOS
    EAI
    DOI: 10.4108/eai.21-10-2019.2291536
Nahdiana Nahdiana1,*, Andi Suci Adysa1
  • 1: Department of Communication Universitas Islam Makassar
*Contact email: nahdiana.dty@uim-makassar.ac.id

Abstract

News or information is very fast circulating through social media. Those who often use social media on a daily basis will get a lot of information from social media. This allows them to be exposed more often to news with sources whose truth is unclear. For those who are not media literate, such a thing is considered right. This requires media literacy in order to reduce hoax news reception. With media literacy, it is expected that the public can access, sort and understand various types of information that can be used to improve the quality of life such as not easily receiving hoax news, the public can also better select which news should be spread and which cannot. Data analysis technique used in this study is a simple linear regression analysis technique to analyze the relationship of independent variables with the dependent variable with the help of the SPSS program to determine the effect of media literacy on hoax news among students of the Islamic University of Makassar. This study aims to determine the effect of media literacy on hoax news reception among Makassar Islamic University students. The results showed that there was an influence of social media literacy on hoax news reception by 0.204, which means the percentage contribution of media literacy variable influence on hoax news reception by 20.4%, while the remaining 79.6% was influenced by external variables